The Communications Support Unit is expanding to meet an increased demand! Vacancies are now available for new volunteers in a variety of roles. We have opportunities for volunteers from all backgrounds and with varied skills.
The Communications Support Unit (CSU) is one of the most active State Emergency Service (SES) units in WA and operates on a 24/7 basis, providing essential communications services and equipment whenever and wherever needed.
If you are keen to find out more, want to help the community in emergency situations, and are enthusiastic to learn new skills, there is a place for you!
What does the Communications Support Unit do?
- CSU is a specialist State Emergency Service Unit that provides radio and datacomms support to the Department of Fire & Emergency Services (DFES), the Western Australian Police (WAPOL), and DBCA at emergency incidents
- All CSU Members are volunteers. We provide 24/7 support to Communities across Western Australia in times of need.
- As part of the State Emergency Service we respond to natural hazards including Bushfires, Storms, Floods, Cyclones, and Earthquakes, as-well as supporting WAPOL in ground and air searches
Our tasks include:
- Radio Operations — Basic and Advanced
- Base Radio Operators
- Installation and operation of Emergency Communication Systems for Incident Management Teams and Ground Services
- Communications Planning
- Incident Management Support
- Call Takers for the SES Emergency Number 132 500
- Trainers for Radio Operations
What do we provide?
- Primary training in all our tasking activities
- Secondary training in all SES Operations
- Uniforms and equipment
- A safe and friendly volunteering environment
What are we looking for?
- A can-do attitude
- Willingness to give it a go
- Openness to learning new skills and gaining new abilities
- Ability to adapt to a changing environment
- Safety awareness in stressful environments
Applications close 14 June 2022.
- Covid-19 vaccination
- National Police Certificate *
You will need to be fully vaccinated (including a booster if applicable to you).
DFES will obtain a National Police Certificate for you at no cost.
A current driver's licence and access to a vehicle is recommended but not essential.
* May be arranged via the Organisation. Details to be provided on expression of interest.